Slight delay

June 20, 2016

First, I want to say thank you to so many of you who are faithfully reading this blog and following our story. This morning, Clay and I had multiple text messages just letting us know that you are praying for us as we went for his first radiation visit today. It is just so wonderful to know that so many people are lifting us up before the throne of God.

We had to be at Pennington at 12:30 today for his final simulation before treatment begins. At 11:00 am, the pharmacy called me and told me that the insurance company would not let them fill the prescription for the chemo drug, Temodar, locally. So, they faxed the prescription to an online pharmacy who would have to mail it to us. I was really tempted to get mad. I could feel some emotion starting to build up. But, I could also hear the Holy Spirit reminding me that He is in control. We are supposed to take the first dose of chemo tomorrow night, just after the first round of radiation. Ugh. I made a few phone calls and then we left for Dr. Russell’s office.

The technicians, and everyone we’ve encountered with his group, have been completely wonderful. Our youngest son, Ben, was with us and they made every accommodation to make him feel comfortable. We got to go in the treatment room while they situated Clay on the table and Ben got to see how the machine will work. When we did have to leave the room, they let us stand with them at the computer desk and we watched everything they did. They were playing Christian music for him in the room, but they left it on the speaker so we could all hear it out there by the computers. So many of the workers we’ve encountered have been believers and they really treat their job as a ministry.

When I asked permission to put pictures on my blog, they told me they’ve already read the blog! How cool is that? They were familiar with our MD Anderson story, and everything that’s been happening. God is so good.

By the time we left Dr. Russell’s, he and his staff had figured out the delay with our prescription and it had all been ordered. We needed to change the location of our treatments from Zachary to Bluebonnet, due to a little snag with insurance, but it is no big deal. And, really, the Lord just worked it all out because we can’t start at Bluebonnet until Wednesday and that’s when the drugs will arrive. So, Wednesday it is. Dr. Russell seemed completely fine with that. He was not concerned about the added day. Dr. Russell was so good to us today. It is in Clay’s nature to accommodate everyone else but himself. He kept trying to tell Dr. Russell to do whatever is easier for him. But, Dr. Russell kept telling us that it is their job to make our life easier right now. He told us to stop being accommodating and let them do things in the easiest way for us. I thought that was so sweet, and that can only be expressed by someone who has walked down a similar path before. You can’t really understand how draining all of this can be until you’ve lived it. I find myself so tired at times when I don’t feel like I’ve really done that much. But, I know how much stress my body is feeling. Even when we are very strong spiritually, and even at total peace, our bodies are experiencing stress like never before. So, we let them accommodate us. Ha!

Clay handled the time in the mask pretty well. The music helped and he just prayed for God’s peace. He did not have to make them stop at all. He made it through without any breaks. He did give me a pretty big hug when we walked outside, so I know there was some relief that it was over, but he handled it incredibly well.

There are several things the Lord has been teaching me over the past few days that I want to share with you. He has been so faithful to speak and we are doing our best to soak it up. It is life. But, for now, I’ll just give you this scripture that I love,

Psalm 57:7-11
“My heart is steadfast, O God,
my heart is steadfast!
I will sing and make melody!
Awake, my glory!
Awake, O harp and lyre!
I will awake the dawn!
I will give thanks to you, O Lord, among the peoples;
I will sing praises to you among the nations.
For your steadfast love is great to the heavens,
your faithfulness to the clouds.
Be exalted, O God, above the heavens!
Let your glory be over all the earth.”

Our hearts are certainly steadfast (another translation says confident.) God has done so many miracles already. He has directed every step we’ve taken. So, we refuse to let a little bump in the road distract us from Him. Obviously, He wanted us to start treatment on Wednesday instead of Tuesday. That’s just how I feel about it. Now, I’m not going to lie….I was pretty aggravated at first. But, the Lord worked in me and helped me remember Him. I love Him for being gracious like that.

We’ve had more great moments since I last wrote.

Chris and Maria brought us dinner Friday night. Their adorable kids remembered that we have a popcorn machine in our gameroom. Well they were so excited to get popcorn again! It was really cute. Ben actually made it for them while the adults talked. We’ve always loved Chris and Maria and their family. Now, we also love their dog. She really liked Clay, as you’ll see in the pics. Hahaha. Then Scott and Lisa visited for a late night coffee chat. The Lord brought them into our lives through our kids and we are so thankful for them.


My sweet Kayla knocked on my door Saturday a.m. with breakfast for our family. We got to sit and visit for a few hours. The Lord has used her to encourage me so much. I tell her all the time that I wish I could adopt her as my oldest daughter, but she already has a good family. She doesn’t need a second mom. But, I volunteer, anyway!

Saturday night, we had dinner with the Gummadi family and the Miller’s joined us! The Miller’s knew me when I was probably 8 years old. Our families go back a long way. We enjoyed delicious Indian food, homemade by Surya. It was completely wonderful. The boys fished in the pond and we had a sweet time of music and prayer together. The passionate prayers that are being prayed over our family are so touching. It has been such an honor to see God work in the lives of people around us as they’ve been burdened with our situation. It is so evident that God is moving and we are thankful to be part of His work.

Thank you, all, for prayers and love. We have enjoyed our time with you so much. I told Kayla Saturday morning that people should do this more often. We all get so busy that we don’t think to just visit each other until something like this happens. So, I encourage you today, go visit someone that you love. Don’t wait for tragedy. Just go. Have coffee at 9:00 pm (maybe decaf) or 10:00 am on a Saturday. Take time to love on people whenever you can. We have been abundantly blessed by the love we’ve been shown. Thank you, Jesus.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


  1. Marlo Hymel says:

    Your blog has really blessed me and encouraged me so much.
    I continue to pray for Clay and all of you until we see that complete healing we are all believing will come in God perfect time!
    Love you all so much!

  2. Cyndi Phillips says:

    Following your blog and seeing how strongly you believe and live the life of a true Christian, especially in the midst of this is so very inspiring! I cry every time I read an update because it is such a scary thing to be experiencing but you all find comfort and strength in God’s words and faith that whatever happens is all a part of his plan. I will pray for you and Clay and the family every day Kristy!